Cambodia - Phnom Penh & Siem Reap

Cambodia - Phnom Penh & Siem Reap

Going to Cambodia was a long-standing dream of mine; I have always been fascinated by the country’s rich history. Before going there I had high expectations and luckily I was not disappointed.
As a matter of fact, I fell madly in love with this country filled with the nicest people I have ever encountered. I can’t recommend it enough to everyone I meet.

SOLO TRIP TO PHNOM PENH

My first solo trip was in Phnom Penh, the capital city of Cambodia located at the banks of the Mekong and Tonle Sap River.

I arrived there in the afternoon, checked-in my hotel and took a walk along the Sisowat Quay and the magnificent Royal Palace.

I couldn’t help but notice the serenity of people in the streets.
Some were doing aerobics in a group, others playing a popular “kick-volleyball” game called "Sepak Takraw" or talking with friends, children roller-skating and Buddhist monks hanging out around the quay. It differs from big cities like Tokyo where people are rather individualistic and too busy to interact with one another.

What stroke me the most was the kindness of people.
They would smile at me for no particular reason or engage into small talks probably out of curiosity. The fact that I was on my own might have made me look more approachable.
I enjoyed very much taking pictures of the locals living their daily lives.

Some kids saw me with my camera and started running and jumping towards my direction for me to take pictures of them.


Women doing Aerobics in Phnom Penh
Women doing Aerobics in Phnom Penh




Group of men playing Sepak Takraw
Group of men playing Sepak Takraw




Selfie with Khmer kids
Selfie with Khmer kids



On my second day, some backpackers I met at my hotel and myself booked a Tuk tuk to see the city’s main attractions.

We went to visit the truly disturbing Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum (S-21 Prison) which was a formal detention centre during the Khmer Rouge regime of Pol Pot, and to the “Killing Fields” were they led horrible mass executions. I was emotionally drained from all the horror stories. I would have skipped this part if I was just looking at going on vacation to relax, but I went there on a personal mission: to discover and learn as much as I could about the country’s history and the culture. I would definitely not recommend to visit that place to faint-hearted people.


Torture bed in Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum
Torture bed in Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum 


Subsequently we went to a local, not very touristy market which was an impressive organized chaos.
Hair Dresser in the market






My trip to Phnom Penh was very eventful and an interesting experience. I went back home, taking with me utter admiration to the Khmer people who managed to keep their serenity despite their dark past.

Siem Reap - Angkor

My second trip to Cambodia was in Siem Reap, I went there with a Vietnamese friend of mine to visit the Temple complex of Angkor Wat. The site has over a hundred temples built from the year 800 to the late 12th century. We covered the major ones in 3 days.

We admired the temple of Angkor in all the possible ways, during the sunset, at sunrise and even from above aboard a flying balloon, which was good to see how wide the complex was. In fact, it is the world's largest religious site.

Siem Reap was more touristy than Phnom Penh.
As a result people were always trying to sell us things in an insisting manner, but having said that I still maintain my very positive opinion on the Cambodians.




Angkor Wat Temple


My favourite temple was the Ta Prohm, which the movie Tom Raider made famous all around the world as it was filmed there. This man-made wonder became even more beautiful as nature has reclaimed its right, taking over the construction with its tentacle-like roots.



Temple of Bayon






Apsara dancer statue



"The hidden Buddha" 





Buddhist monk meditating





  Cambodian Kids hanging out around Angkor


Cambodian never miss out on an opportunity to take a nap!












Though Cambodia still struggles with poverty in some areas due to the corruption which hinders the development of the country, with its friendly people, beautiful coastline, delicious Khmer cuisine and a rich historical heritage, Cambodia has everything to seduce, and clearly it did seduce me!






4 comments:

  1. Really amazing pictures and stories! Looking forward to your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I greatly admire your passion to travel across the world and wish I had the courage like you to do a solo trip. Reading each and every post of yours creates a vivid picture in my head of your adventures and the beautiful pictures help even more.

    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ror your encouragmenents Laila!

    ReplyDelete